Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Light at the End of the Tunnel


           Something evil has been eating at me for days. And by days, I mean DAYS, it’s hard not to dwell on and wonder why so much negative is happening around when there was suppose to be good coming out of this. Some of you might know right off hand what I’m talking about others are going “dear Azzy what pray tell are you speaking of?” LOL…ok maybe not said quiet like that. It made me do a lot of thinking as to why people want to post their negative thoughts behind the “grey one” title instead of their own handle. And I know you’re still asking ok what are you talking about.

            The Cutie Awards, there were a lot of positive things I personally saw that came out of putting this together. Though I don’t know why but people are focusing their negative thoughts without giving any care about anything other than number one…aka themselves. Are they bitter cause they didn’t win? It’s possible, I suppose.  There are pro’s and con’s to everything we do and all the choices we make in life even in a digital life we can be held accountable for our actions by our peers. I think this is why there’s the negative posting behind the “grey one”. Comments I’ve read the past few weeks have been snarky, full of spite, and makes you want to say,  “and who the hell pissed in your corn flakes this morning?”

            So, I’m going to treat the negative comments much like those of a troll and just move along and post the GOOD that has come out of these awards. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel and by the grace of all that is good we shall reach it!

THE GOOD

1.     Brought the dance community together for one event. – Normally we’re all in our own little world, doing our own thing. By adding this event into the mix it brought out crowds to shows they’d never even knew existed. Granted most of the dance groups do advertise that they are hosting a show via the group. I witnessed this first hand at Guerilla Burlesque. We had many people that I know are new or had never seen the show before show up.
2.      We got to see the avatars behind their prospective group and some even a voice behind them. Again, this brought the dance community together for one event. We may have made new friends or ran into old ones either way, it was great seeing a diverse dancing crowd all in one room. It wasn’t just ballet or burlesque but ALL different kinds of dance.
3.     The community as a whole became a lot more active and voiced their concerns or opinions, while this is also a con in a way since Negative Nancy decided to rear her ugly head at the same time, this is more of a in between good and bad…pro and con…you get the picture though.
4.     Those that were nominated for an award felt their peers recognized their work.  Even if they didn’t win, their hard work had caught the eye of someone and it’s appreciated. We don’t dance for ourselves only. I mean if that was the case, then I don’t see how this would be successful at all. Those, that were not, then they know what they need to do to get recognized. This should of given everyone a drive, something to shoot for.
5.     This set the bar for next year, on improving, pushing and even giving everyone else something to strive for. If an actor/actress didn’t win the golden globe and had a complete melt down and/or diva fit because he/she didn’t win then those awards would be null and void.

            While that’s not all the good that came out of the awards, those are the important ones I felt were worth pointing out.  I won’t even touch the negative points, because they’ve been hounded to the point of just stupidity in my book and if you really REALLY want to know what they are, all you have to do is go to the Dancing Queen’s blog and read all the negative comments.  They are the reason I’m writing this blog, because I couldn’t sit back and let others just get the bad crap out there without shedding some light on the great, good things that came out of this award.

            I challenge those “grey ones” this…step back and take a big look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself why you got into dancing. If the words ever echo out of your head “I do it for the awards…for myself” then maybe you’ve got the wrong idea of what a dancer really is. A real dancer does it for the art, expression, passion, love… so many reasons. Read my last blog and you’ll know why I do.

1 comment: