Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ahhh Inventory how I loathe thee....

-->
Oh inventory…how I hate you some days.  No matter how hard I try to keep it sorted it’s like it grows a mind of its own and begins to just exploding everywhere. Trying to keep it organized is a chore. One we all should keep up with. Think of it this way, your inventory is like your house would you let it go for months and months? No, probably not. Then again there are plenty of people out there that haven’t sorted their inventory ever, finding stuff some days is like a huge shopping spree, only you haven’t spent a penny –THIS- time…. instead you’re finding boxes of stuff you bought months ago and never opened!

            I’m not going to even begin to lecture on why you bought it if you weren’t opening it that moment, I’ve had days like that myself. Later on it’s like oh my, I guess I forgot about you…and look how cute it is! We’ve all done it, I see you shaking your head at me saying I have not! I’ll give you a peek into my inventory kinda, at least so you can see how particular I am about sorting it. I have main folders, then sub folders and even more sub folders inside. Some things I have sorted by colors some I don’t. It just depends on what I wanted for a system.




            As you can see, I almost everything is sorted and put away, I have a few odd ball things out that need to be put in their place but for the most part everything is put in its place.  I saw you eyeing my inventory count. I hate it even being over 22K, which at the moment it is. Not much but, its enough to drive me crazy trying to cut it down. So, I thought I’d do a re-blog about how to I sort my inventory. You’re welcome to try a few tips and tricks I give you, heck that’s why I’m doing this. I spent a good three hours this morning having a come to Azzy meeting with myself about how dumb I’ve been for pack ratting a bunch of stuff I’ve never even worn. Not ONCE. So, I started boxing stuff up…gave myself a list of rules to follow which I will post below.


                        AZZY’S INVENTORY RULES

Rule 1. – BOX UP PAST PURCHASES IF YOU’VE OPENED THEM  ALREADY

Rule 2. – IF YOU’VE NEVER WORN IT…CHANCES ARE YOU NEVER      WILL…BOX IT, DELETE IT OR PASS IT TO AN ALT.

Rule 3. – IF YOU HAVEN’T WORN SOMETHING IN THE PAST 5 MONTHS GET RID OF IT AKA BOX IT UP OR GIVE IT TO AN ALT.

RULE 4.  LOOK IN YOUR INVENTORY BEFORE GOING SHOPPING

RULE 5. SORT YOUR STUFF AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH


            Not too many rules, I tend to break them especially that last one. I’ve been slacking badly as of late but things have been a bit crazy, still no excuses. You must be willing to set aside some time once in awhile to keep your inventory clean, just like your house, if you keep up with it then it won’t look so daunting or intimidating.

            So now to get to the task at hand, which is sorting the monster called inventory. So first things first, create your folders, the main folders for everything. Once you’ve gotten things broken down to what you wanted, the fun task begins. Don’t worry about sub folders right now; we just want to get everything in its new home. BUT, before you even begin that, go through the folders and delete any nonsense you don’t need. Scripts, poses, land marks, and note cards all add up quickly. Besides that, if you went to the store chances are if you like it, you’ve got them already land marked.

            Now, once the folders are all pretty and clean from the crude you don’t need to hang on to you can sort them into the folders you just created.
I suggest turning on some music, a movie, just something to keep you slightly entertained cause it does get boring to do.



I think I’ve had enough of your time this blog, I’ll continue on the next one with tips and such to get that inventory count down, cause trust me having a low count helps out, and having back ups of things you can is always a bonus.


Love you all!!

Azzy XOXOXOXOX

2 comments:

  1. Wow how in world do you do it ~ I have try and try and ugh I am even a shame to tell you my count ~ ok here it is >>> 0ver 50,000 items and yes I know and can I ask what us meant by boxed? love your sense of way you tell how you do it ~ now if I can get my head and people to let me be when I am on (hard to do now with my new club) ~ I am gonna do it (cross fingers)~ lol Thank you for letting me hear how you do it!! Here is a YAY and goes in with I know I can!!! Take care and hugs ~ Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol np Cat, I know how inventories can get outta hand, textures are a big inventory eater...especially if you build, so I definitely suggest getting a board to load them on. Will make life so much easier. There's a few out there too so research around until you find something you love.

      Delete